Home Hastings-on-Hudson
Hastings-on-Hudson  Gallery


Hastings-on-Hudson, New York (Enter Hastings-on-Hudson's Hudson River Gallery)

From 1609, when the first Europeans arrived in Westchester, throughout most of the 18th century, the area that became the village of Hastings-on-Hudson in 1879 was part of Philipsburg Manor and was populated by small tenant farms along the Hudson River. During this era, sailing ships plied the waters of the Hudson, carrying passengers and goods along the river.

During the 19th century the Hastings waterfront was the site of increasing industrialization. Sugar refineries, chemical companies and cable companies implanted themselves along the river. Although factory buildings separated Hastings residents from the river, the factories provided many residents with much-needed employment.

Known for its great natural beauty, Hastings attracted wealthy New Yorkers, who built large country estates on its hillside. Artists were attracted to the beauty of the village as well. Jasper Cropsey, a 19th-century artist who was a prominent member of the Hudson River School, was a long-time resident of Hastings.

During the 20th century many of the factories along the river were gradually abandoned, and Hastings, like other rivertowns, is searching for a new focus for its waterfront.